Monday, September 24, 2012

One Year Later

On September 10th I celebrated my one year anniversary of living in Mexico. Throughout the day I had a running list in my head of all the ways life is different after just one year. 

One year later and I can confidently conquer the roads here.

One year later and I can now talk on the phone, order at a drive through and teach kids to read... in spanish.

One year later and I am a mama to 7 boys with at least 10 others that I would claim in a heartbeat.

But of all of these new developments and all the ways God has worked and been faithful this past year the one that stood out the most to me is Jose.

This time last year Jose wasn't reading... if we were lucky... and i mean very lucky... he might have been able to read two words in a minute... at best. Well, on September 11, 2012 Jose sat down with me to read... just 366 days after I moved here. And do you know how many words a minute he can read now... 63!!!! I almost fell over in my chair.

But even better than his improved reading skills is the fact that one year later, Jose lives with his mom. About 9 months ago she came to live and work at the children's home and since then Jose and his three brothers have lived with her. They read together and do homework together and he has the safety, security and predictability of a family. In talking to his mom the other day she told me that the director of his school was complementing him on his improved behavior. He doesn't run down the street to the SevenEleven anymore. Nor does he just run laps around the classroom. Instead he sits and listens and does what he is told.

 I looked at Jose and jokingly said "Who are you????" To which he smiled and replied... "I'm a different kid!"

So take it from him... one year later.... and Jose is a different kid :)


1 comment: