Friday, January 20, 2012

How did you end up there and how long are you staying?

It's Friday and that means it's our final frequently asked question. The last question that I heard over and over again was ...

Q: How did you end up there and how long are you staying?

A: Well this answer could be an hour long story however, I'm going to try to keep it brief. It was the summer after my senior year of high school that I first got on a plane and flew to Monterrey, Mexico with 60 other high school students from my church. This trip was definitely something out of my comfort zone. However, with my best friend at my side I found the courage to come. We arrived so late that it was already dark when we arrived on campus, I hadn't seen an orphan, seen the mountains or even seen the warm shining sun. But I new as clear as day that I was supposed to come back. I ended up loving pretty much every minute of my week and it only confirmed that feeling I had the first night... I was supposed to come back.

Well this leads us to summer of 2008. I knew I wanted to come back but our trip through church was only for high school students and I no longer qualified. So I had heard about this other option to intern. Not really knowing what I was getting myself into, I applied and got accepted to spend the month of July in Monterrey. Again this was soooo far outside of my comfort zone and this time I didn't have anyone I knew going with me. But the Lord kept leading and pushing and I ended up having an incredibly life changing month and fell in love with orphan care more and more. And again I wanted to come back and bring my family the next time.

Now we're up to the summer of 2009. I knew I wanted to be in Monterrey for more than just a month, but was only offered a month internship. So I became a nanny for a staff family here during the month of June and an intern in the month of July. Again I had an amazing summer. My family got to come, I grew closer to the Lord, fell more in love with orphans and made some really really amazing friendships that are still some of my closest friends today.

And again I just had to come back. It was summer of 2010. My last chance to be an intern. I was about to be a senior and in college which mean next summer couldn't be spent in Monterrey, but would need to be spent becoming a grown up and finding a job. I was set to spend 2 months in Monterrey and by now I figured I knew the drill of how this summer would go. But little did I know this would be the summer that changed everything. To my surprise I found myself living at Casa Hogar Douglas and being a mommy to 14. And everything changed. I thought I loved orphan care before, but I had no idea. My heart broke over and over into millions of pieces as I rubbed little ones backs till they fell asleep and miraculously learned Spanish so that I couldn't tell them not only how much I loved them but how much more God did. And with that, the decision was made. Again I was meant to come back. But this time it was going to be for much longer than 2 months. I applied to come on staff with Back2Back on a one year commitment. And well you know how the story ends.

Here I am. And I'm here until September. The decision about recommitting is ever present but I haven't made any decisions yet. I really have no idea how long I'll be here. It's a year for now and then we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment