Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tutoring Jose

One of the biggest projects I’ve begun working on while since I moved here is tutoring Jose. Jose is 7 years old and in second grade. He’s made quite a few appearances on my blog before because for whatever reason, this sweet child just has my heart. I knew from previous years that he had been struggling in school, especially with reading. Therefore, he was a target of mine from the start. As soon as I got here I did some assessments and realized he only knew about 15 of the 33 letter sounds he needed to know in Spanish. So we started with the letters. Everyday we do his homework together and then play games and read books to help him practice letter sounds and learn to read. And I am SO excited to announce that as of October 18th he knew ALL of the letter sounds!! We’re still working on putting the sounds together to read words… but it’s progress… definite progress. So I am praising the Lord for that. The hour a day I spend with Jose is literally my favorite hour of the day. I love the concentrated one on one time that tutoring has allowed us. I get to speak truth into his life about who he is and who God created him to be while we work on the very necessary life skill of reading. I can’t think of a better way to send my days.

One day last week Jose didn’t go to school because he had a dentist appointment, so I brought him to our apartment and Jose and I had “home school”. This is a picture of us building words together.

1 comment:

  1. Your awesome! Give Jose and the other 3 a big squeeze for me!!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete