Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I confess.

If you haven't noticed by now I'm kind of obsessed with the 20 boys I get the privilege of caring for each week. It's the 10 8-12 year olds on Monday and then the little guys on Tuesday. And honestly that are my very very favorite days of the week. It usually means working two 14 hour days in a row and Two mornings of getting up at 5:40 AM. But for some strange reason I love it. I guess it's something about getting to be their home base for that whole day. During those days I have the incredible privilege of sharing the highs and lows of their day. It means really hard conversations about what we do with anger or how to speak with respect. But it also means really sweet moments of snuggles on the couch or an unsolicited "I love you". I could blog for hours about all the moments I love during any given day. I could also talk for hours about each and every one of them. Like I said, I'm kind of obsessed.

And as I reflect on this fact I realize that for as much as I'm obsessed with them, God is so much more obsessed with them. The love I feel for them is only a fraction of the love their heavenly father feels for them. And all this love that I feel is really just God giving me a tiny bit of his love for me to pass on to them. The Lord is passionate about the orphan child. Over and over again in scripture we are command to defend and protect the fatherless. The promises God has for them are astounding. It is God who is obsessed with them, each and every one of them.

So maybe that's why I love taking care of them so much. Because for that whole day I get to be a conduit of the obsessive love the Lord has for these boys. If I am abiding in him, God continually fills me with more and more of his love to give out. And how can I not love a day when I get to share the love of Christ all day long?

My prayer before each day is that these boys would experience that too. That they would feel the love of Christ in the same way that I do. That they would experience true genuine love and it would bind up their little hearts just enough for them to experience the love that comes directly from their heavenly father.



No comments:

Post a Comment