Monday, October 31, 2011

Saying Thank You

For about the past month or so, I have been spending my afternoons at Casa Hogar Douglas helping with homework and reading with pretty much any kid that will sit down with me. The other day I was asked by one of the girls caregivers to do homework with Pamela. Now, I would describe Pamela as a girl with spunk, she has one of those personalities that just makes people want to follow her, she’s in fourth grade and strong willed and feisty. Living in a children’s home with 70 other kids these character qualities more often than not end up getting her in trouble.

So I was asked to do homework with her pretty much as a last resort. Before she even sat down she told me she needed to go get her pencil and then never came back… so, I sought her out and found her in her dorm. I told her we would sit there together until she finished. She then began to scribble fake answers in each of the answer spots. And again I stopped her and told her I would be here until she did it for real, but that we would do it together. So finally she gave in and painstakingly we did her homework together.

And when we were finally finished she looked at me with all the attitude she could muster and said “I like your shoes, I like your necklace and your ring is really pretty”.

To which I responded “Thank you, and you’re welcome”

I loved her response, it was her way of saying thank you. While keeping her pride and her feisty attitude in tact, she said thank you. Living in a children’s home, coming from a background that inevitably involves pain and abandonment these kids build walls as a way to cope. On this day, I was privileged enough to see a little bit of that wall come down. It’s God that is chipping away at the walls, and I get to be his hands and feet.

1 comment:

  1. precious. love love love you sammy! <3

    ReplyDelete