Friday, June 11, 2010

So I was a mommy to 14 children.

Well it's the end of week one and this is the first moment I have had to actually sit down and reflect on my life this past week. If I tried to write this out in like an organized story form I would never fit it all in, but I'll try to give you some highlights.

This week I lived at Casa Hogar Douglas which is a children's home here in Monterrey, Mexico. They recently lost one of their workers leaving the dorm of 14, 2-7 year old boys without a caretaker, so to fill the gaps me, Caroline (a back2back staff member) and 2 other interns moved in and became their new caretakers, hence the title "So I was a mommy to 14 children". We were responsible for taking care of them 24 hours a day, so here are some the things that were typically part of my day.

- getting up every day at 5:55
- dressing kids for school
- doing 55 kids laundry
- changing diapers
- feeding children
- helping with homework
- being told I was both a rat and the most beautiful woman in the world
- breaking up fights
- finding stolen toys
- watching Ice Age 2 eight times,
- speaking Spanish
- bathing children
- catching children who are bathing in their clothes
- brushing teeth
- teaching children to say por favor and gracias
- putting kids to bed

In a brief list that was my week. It was one of the hardest weeks of my life. We were busy every moment of the day and it was nearly impossible to find a second to ourselves. I have gained such an appreciation for what these caregivers do day in and day out for years at a time.

Some things that I loved about the week were, getting to know the kids on a personal level, asking them how school was and rubbing their backs until they fall asleep in bed.

I'm now back at the property enjoying some much needed rest and relaxation, then I'll be working with groups for a few days before I move back to Douglas Tuesday night for the rest of next week. Which I'm happy about because I miss my kids, for as much as they stress me out and for as tired as I am, I can't wait to be back.

So I think that's all I have for tonight, I'm way to sleepy to think in either English or Spanish tonight, but I'll leave you with one of my favorite scenarios from yesterday...

Adrian: Who is a rat? Say who!
Me: Who?
Adrian: You!!
Me: oh... that makes me sad :(
(Boys laughing and whispering)
Adrian: Who is the most attractive girl?
Me: Who?
Adrian: You!!
Me: Oh wow, who?
Jose: Who is the most beautiful woman?
Me: Who?
Jose: You!!
Me: Thank you, I love you so much.

I LOVE these children, and so does Jesus and that's why I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment